Allocate to China: A Reality Check 4 Months after MSCI A Shares Inclusion
11th October 2018 @ 2:00 pm - 5:00 pm BST
Allocate to China (“ATC”) Initiative is a research-based communication platform bringing together global investors, asset managers and other stakeholders to share views and insights on various key themes relating to China asset management market. The ATC Initiative event series is hosted by its Strategic Partners on a rotational basis in key financial centres.
On 1 June 2018, MSCI included China A shares into its emerging market index. Four months on, this ATC event hosted by HSBC in London aims to do a reality check on global investors’ intentions and actions in allocating to the China market through various channels and asset classes. The event brings together leading managers, investors, allocators and industry bodies, as well as government agencies from both UK & China.
1:30 pm Registration
2:00 – 2:10 Opening remarks and event introduction:
Sun Wei, ATC Initiative Leader / Director, Lujiazui Financial City London Office
2:10 – 2:20 Opening Speech:
Rosie Hamer, Head of China Desk, International Directorate, Department of International Trade.
2:20 – 3:00 Keynote Speech: China Market Overview and Investment Themes:
Stephen King, Senior Economic Adviser, HSBC
3:00 – 3:50 Panel Discussion 1: Allocate to China: Reality check and enabling measures
• Change in investment flows into China’s capital markets since MSCI A shares inclusion;
• Existing and new channels to access China’s equity and bond markets (QFII, RQFII, Stock Connect,
Bond Connect, etc.);
• Measures and initiatives from the UK and China governments and trade bodies to facilitate
• The case study of UK asset managers building up the local presence in China.
Chaired by: Simon Ovenden, Partner, Simmons & Simmons
Liu Zhiguo, Director at Finance Bureau, Shanghai Free Trade Zone;
Jing Li, China Market Specialist, Department of International Trade;
Richard Normington, Senior Policy Advisor, International & Brexit, The Investment Association;
Graham Duce, Global Client – Senior Director, Aberdeen Standard Investments;
Jorge Morley-Smith, Director, Asset Management, KPMG LLP.
3:50 – 4:10 Coffee break
4:10 – 5:00 Panel discussion 2: Investors-managers dialogue: Which asset classes and which products?
• What do the asset managers see as main opportunities and challenges in China market?
• How would the ongoing trade tension affect investors’ perception towards China?
• Which asset classes would investors/allocators make use of for their China exposure? (ETF, long-only
equity, bond, hedge funds, PE, etc.)
• What industry sectors do investors and asset managers favour in China?
Chaired by: Robert Parker, Chairman of Asset Management and Investors Council, ICMA
Carmen Gonzalez-Calatayud, Senior Product Specialist ETFs, HSBC Global Asset Management;
Peter Lindqvist, CEO, Harvest Global Investment (UK) Ltd;
Richard Johnston, Regional Head of Asia, Albourne Partners;
Bruno Serfaty, Senior Portfolio Manager, USS Investment Management Limited;
Kim Lindinger, CEO, Plinius Capital Ltd;
Kedi Huang, Quantitative Strategist, Legal & General Investment Management.
5:00 – 7:00 Drinks reception